Others volunteers have traveled to Ghana during one and two-week working trips.
Our excellent stewardship of donated time and money has produced the following:
- People in Apam are receiving reconstructive and life-saving surgeries that they would otherwise not receive. Your support makes it possible for Building Solid Foundations’ medical teams to continue to perform these life-changing surgeries.
- Children, adults, and families suffering from malaria, parasitic diseases, tuberculosis, hypertension, diabetes, and AIDS are being identified and are receiving treatment. But, we aren’t stopping there. Identification and treatment of these diseases isn’t enough. You can help us educate residents about risk factors for these diseases and help improve sanitation in Apam. By providing more than treatment – by reducing the source of bacteria – the incidence of infection declines, individuals’ disease resistance improves, nutrition improves, absences from work and school decline, and premature deaths become more infrequent.
- Your partnership with Building Solid Foundations will positively affect Apam’s quest for self-sufficiency. There are wide-ranging opportunities for volunteers with special interests. For example, in 2015, Master and casual gardeners created an agriculture curriculum for the Senior High School. Students had the opportunity to learn about raised-bed vegetable gardening by planting and tending gardens at the school.
- Children who attend four Primary Schools in Apam now have school libraries stocked with age-appropriate, culturally sensitive books to explore. With your generous gift, we will be able to continue to deliver books, supplies, and sports equipment to these schools.
- St. Luke’s on-site laboratory has been renovated and modernized thanks to a generous gift in memory of Trevor King. Your gift will keep laboratory equipment in good repair and stocked with supplies that will support earlier, more accurate diagnoses and faster onset of life-saving treatment.
There is so much more that can be done…that must be accomplished.
- St. Luke’s has identified an urgent need for neonatal care. We are seeking funds to help the hospital renovate space in the Women’s Ward, purchase incubators and bilirubin light-therapy equipment, and train health workers.
- Building Solid Foundations is working with the Apam Alumni Association to renovate the Apam High School’s Physics and Biology classrooms. Climate, normal wear and tear, and lack of funds have resulted in laboratory classrooms that lack equipment and storage areas. Your gift will be used to ensure that bright, eager students have the opportunity to benefit from hands-on science learning in order to compete in the global marketplace.