Building Solid Foundations conducts one two-week trip to Apam, Ghana each year beginning in late September and returning in early October. On average, twenty team members travel to Apam to dispense medical/surgical care, and to carry out educational, agricultural, sanitation and construction projects. Smaller teams of volunteers travel to Apam at other times of the year as needed.
The regularly scheduled trip was held September 22, 2013 through October 4, 2013. Twenty-nine volunteers participated in the trip. Fifteen volunteers provided medical/surgical care, nine worked with local elementary and middle schools, two- and-one-half demonstrated vegetable gardening/composting techniques, and two-and-one-half people were responsible for construction work.
Other work conducted by Building Solid Foundations during the period July 1, 2013 through June 30, 2014 consisted of preparation for the September 19, 2015 through October 2, 2015 humanitarian trip to Apam. Some of that work includes:
1. Collection of books and education supplies for distribution in elementary and middle schools in Apam, Ghana in September 2015.
2. Creation of hand-washing and hygiene curriculum to be used at elementary and middle schools in Apam, Ghana in September 2015.
3. Fundraising to purchase equipment and supplies used at the renovated/refurbished Apam Catholic Hospital.
4. Planning/coordinating refurbishing of the Apam Catholic Hospital Laboratory.
5. Collaborating with Rotary International on several waste-water treatment projects at schools in and near Apam.
Building Solid Foundations is also exploring several economic development projects that would bring much-needed job opportunities to the town of Apam and the surrounding area.
Thank you to all donors and volunteers. Your financial contribution and your gift of time and talents make progress in Apam, Ghana possible.